About

History

Holstein Park has been an active community in Bucktown since homes were built here in 1854. The area was named after laborers and craftsmen from Schleswig – Holstein, a region of Germany, became its early migrant residents.

The land was transferred to the West Chicago Park System in 1901. The historic field house, designed by Illinois State architect William Carbys Zimmerman, opened to the public in 1912, and was soon joined by the formal playing fields and a public pool. Holstein Park was incorporated into a unified Chicago Park District in 1934.

When the nearby Logan School burned down, the adjoining property to the north was added and renamed Senior Citizen Park in 1979. Holstein Park continues to be the center of community for Bucktown residents who come to use the field house, swimming pool and since 2006, the newly renovated children’s playground.

Our Mission

To improve, preserve and protect the functionality, safety and atmosphere of Holstein Park and Senior Citizen Park, making it a wonderful environment to play and learn. Holstein Park is the heart of our urban community. It is the place where we gather to play, picnic and swim. It is the place where we attend events that help sustain our wonderfully diverse community. It is our backyard; we are committed to making it the best it can be.

Friends of Holstein Park is a community 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. Donations are tax deductible. All donations go towards the improvements of Holstein Park.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close
loading...